November 28, 2013
HOMEOWNERS HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT KINDER MORGAN PIPELINE
Poll shows 45% of respondents in Metro Vancouver would not buy a home near an oil pipeline
BURNABY Today NDP MP Kennedy Stewart (Burnaby Douglas) released the results of a public opinion survey concerning how people feel about buying homes or property next to oil pipelines.
“The top complaint from people in my riding about a new Kinder Morgan pipeline is the negative impact this proposed project is already having on their ability to sell their homes, said Stewart. Some homeowners living along the proposed pipeline route tell me they cannot sell their homes now or are not getting reasonable offers. I commissioned this poll to determine the extent to which the problem is widespread.”
The survey results show that when asked about their feelings toward buying a home or property near an oil pipeline, 45 per cent of those living in Metro Vancouver indicated they would not consider buying a home or property near a pipeline with a further 23 per cent saying it would strongly and negatively impact their decision to buy. In total, 68 per cent of those surveyed say they would either have strong reservations or definitely not buy a home near an oil pipeline.
The combined negative responses break down geographically as follows:
-Metro Vancouver: 68% strong reservations/would not buy
-Vancouver Island: 70% strong reservations/would not buy
-Southern Interior: 67% strong reservations/would not buy
-Northern BC: 60% strong reservations/would not buy
“The results of this poll reinforce what I have heard from property owners living along the proposed pipeline routes. Kinder Morgan needs to answer the questions that property owners have and highlights why residents need to get involved, said Stewart.
Stewart recently launched http://letbcdecide.ca/ to give people more information about how they can participate in the National Energy Board pipeline approval process.
For more information, please contact:
Helesia Luke, Kennedy.stewart.C1@parl.gc.ca or 778-858-0553
Backgrounder available at www.kennedystewart.ca
From November 13th to November 15th, 2013, an online survey was conducted among 803 randomly selected adult British Columbia residents who are Angus Reid Forum panelists. The margin of errorwhich measures sampling variabilityis +/- 3.4%, 19 times out of 20. The results have been statistically weighted according to the most current education, age, gender and region Census data to ensure a sample representative of the entire adult population of British Columbia. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding.