|FOSSIL FUEL FREEDOM FEST – Celebrate Resistance!
The grand finale of the Walk 4 the Salish Sea!
RSVP and share on Facebook HERE
From May 25-28, 2017, a grassroots citizens’ mobilization will rise against Tar Sands, Kinder Morgan and Fossil Fuel Expansion. The Walk 4 the Salish Sea! will depart from Mile “0” in Victoria, B.C (Lekwungen territory) for a 4-day, 75 km march to Ground “0” at the Kinder Morgan Westridge Marine Terminal in Burnaby (Coast Salish Territory). We Walk in solidarity with indigenous-led opposition to the recent federal & provincial government approval for the Kinder Morgan TransMountain pipeline/tanker expansion, and in protection of the marine environment and surrounding communities from the risks associated with this project.
CORE MESSAGES OF THE WALK 4 THE SALISH SEA!:
1) Respect for Indigenous laws and rights;
2) Climate leaders don’t expand fossil fuel infrastructure;
3) Water is life;
4) Leave it in the Ground;
THE SALISH SEA IS OUR LINE IN THE SAND –
KINDER MORGAN SHALL NOT PASS!!
The risks to our rivers, salmon habitat, drinking watersheds, the coast, surrounding communities and local economies from inevitable spills are not acceptable. A massive bitumen spill in the Salish sea or anywhere en route, traversing thousands of salmon and orca supporting habitats from Alberta to the coast of BC, cannot be cleaned up, ever!
Day 4- SUNDAY MAY 28th
*** Please pack a lunch and a water bottle ***
The final day of the Walk on Sunday May 28 will begin at 9am at Grandview Park (1657 Charles St. @ Commercial, Vancouver MAP)
and arrive at Westridge Park (320 Cliff Ave., Burnaby MAP) at approximately 1:30pm. 9 am Meet Grandview Park for Ceremony, drumming, short speeches, welcoming of Walkers.
The 10 km/4 hr. Walk leaves 9:30am along Commercial Dr. & E. Hastings and is planned to arrive at the gates of the Kinder Morgan Westridge Marine Terminal – səlil̓wətaʔɬ /Tsleil-Waututh and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm /Musqeaum First Nations territory – at approximately 2pm for a large convergence of diverse communities seeking social and environmental justice for First Nations, the land, the ocean, climate and the coast.
This will be followed by a “Fossil Fuel Freedom Fest – Celebrate Resistance” at near-by Westridge Park from approximately 2:30-5pm.
- 11:30am: East Hastings St. @ Ingleton Ave., Burnaby MAP
- 12:45pm: East Hastings St. @ Holdom Ave, Burnaby (Capitol Hill Elementary School) MAP
- 1:30pm: Westridge Park, Burnaby MAP
1:30 – 2:30pm: The Walk will proceed to the gates of the Kinder Morgan Westridge Marine Terminal for drumming, decoration of the gates and symbolic blockade
2:30 – 5pm FOSSIL FUEL FREEDOM FEST: Celebrate Resistance!! Westridge Park
(320 Cliff Ave, Burnaby)FOSSIL FUEL FREEDOM FEST! at Westridge Park –
Includes infotables, music/dancing, kid’s activities, Indigenous rights, climate justice, Kinder Morgan pipeline and mass non-violent direct action teach-in.
Speakers / Music to include:
– co-MC’s: Audrey Siegl & Stephen Collis
– Coast Salish welcome – Cedar George-Parker, Tsleil-Waututh FN
– Grand Chief Stewart & Joan Phillip, UBCIC
– Slam Poets
– Brandon Gabriel & Kachina Bige, Kwantlen First Nation
– Music by Luke Wallace, Emily Kelsall, The Racket, Buckman Coe & other awesome people!
– Kanahus Manuel, Secwepemc First Nation
– Chief Lee Spahan, Coldwater FN
– Elizabeth May MP Saanich-Gulf Islands
– Briony Penn (Orca Soundings)
– Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan
– Kennedy Stewart MP-Burnaby South
– Bobby Arbess, SEA (Social Environmental Alliance)